IVF#2: Egg Retrieval Part II

So I laid 21 eggs today! At least, that’s how many the RE collected from me this morning.

The procedure went much better this time around. I pretty much told every nurse and the RE about how quickly I metabolize anaesthetic, and they gave me an extra dose at the beginning of the procedure. I felt my head get heavy, the room started to look blurry, and while I was aware of what was going on at a very superficial level. I didn’t feel any pain, which was really nice.

After the procedure, I recovered in the lounge with apple juice and the snacks that we packed: coconut water and homemade cornbread muffins. Since I had been fasting since 7pm the night before, I was ravenous. I basically stuffed my face as the nurse was trying to explain the discharge items to me. I felt a bit dazed, but then we had a chance to see one of the embryologists, as I wanted to discuss our choice of fertilization method.

We have decided to do 100% ICSI.

They will start the ICSI tonight and then we will get a fertilization report tomorrow.

After that, DW went to grab the car and came to pick me up from the front door of the clinic. I was feeling woozy getting into the car, and started to salivate. In that moment, I knew I was gonna puke, so I opened the door, leaned out, and puked all over the sidewalk in front of the clinic. DW hung onto me by the back of my jacket, and I was so glad my dreads were tied up, because I had four good barfs before I was empty. Goodbye apple juice, coconut water, cornbread muffins, and water!

On our way home, we make two stops. One at Whole Foods because all I could stomach was soup. Another at Walmart to grab some Tylenol for the post-retrieval pain as well as some Gravol because the Dostinex makes me so nauseous.

I’ve spent the rest of the afternoon lounging on the couch, binge watching Broadchurch on Netflix. DW has been taking very good care of me- unlimited fetches, making food, bringing me meds. She also took the dogs out while I vegged on the couch.

The anaesthetic wore off by the time we got home, as I have some pain with moving, but much worse with peeing. I haven’t pooped all day, and I dread having to do it. I finally pooped and while it was moderately painful, I survived. There may have been some whimpers coming from the bathroom.

I have been taking Extra Strength Tylenol every 4 hours, which has taken the edge off and made the pain quite mild. But from what I remember, the OHSS came on with a vengeance a few days after the retrieval, so the worst is yet to come.

Since we had so many eggs retrieved, they’ve already got us booked for a five-day transfer. We transfer on Wednesday! I am hoping and praying that we get a lot of good quality blastocysts over the next couple of days. I’ll post their progress along the way.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and well wishes. I appreciate all of your support. I don’t know how I would have gotten through the past two years without you all.

For now, here’s a picture of two of my cutest girls:

IMG_6186

Juno (the big dog) saved Clementine (the little dog) and I from a coyote that was stalking us two days ago. We were walking on a path on the side of a hill, when a coyote cut us off about 30 feet ahead. Juno chased it down the hill and across a valley, probably about 0.75 of a kilometre long. Luckily, she is bigger than the coyotes, so they are afraid of her and run away. It’s one of the major dangers of taking the dogs to this conservation area. There are deer, coyotes, beavers, and other native wildlife. We always try to go during the day time because the coyotes are more active in the evening. I feel so grateful for Juno’s protection, even though she is generally a super suck 99.9% of the time.

Anyhow, fertilization report tomorrow!

Advertisements

Juno the Dog’s Adventure in Chocolateland

Juno, our husky/lab/retriever mix is an exceptionally beautiful dog.

IMG_0218
Gorgeous right?

However, being part ravenous food monster Labrador retriever, she is also a gluttonous pig that is fixated on food, despite pretending not to be looking. She has her favourites, of course:

IMG_0598

IMG_0597

IMG_0599
These items should never be left on the table within reach of the dog!

But generally, she doesn’t go after our food. We can set a plate of dinner on the ottoman in front of the couch (knee height), and leave the room, confident that neither dog will touch it. We can drop food accidentally on the ground, and neither dog will approach it (unless given the “okay” command). Overall, we have very good dogs who we can leave unattended, and come home to nothing missing or destroyed.

That is, until yesterday….

When I came home after a long day of appointments and grocery shopping, and NO DOGS CAME TO GREET ME AT THE DOOR. This is highly unusual, so I knew something was up. (Juno experiences copious amounts of self-inflicted shame when she does something bad, and her guilt causes her to hide and not make eye contact with us.) I looked around, and found a crumpled sheet of used parchment paper, and then I remembered.

I had made a tray of very scrumptious gluten-free fudgy brownies two days before, and because they’re so decadent, DW and I had been chipping away at them slowly.

IMG_0592

You can find the recipe here.

Normally, we place things like this out of reach, but because I was in such a rush yesterday (slept in remember?), I left the remaining brownies on the kitchen table.

Well, she must’ve gotten into them, because not a crumb remained. Even the knife used to cut them was completely cleaned off.

Of course you all know that chocolate is very toxic to dogs, so after the initial shock and disappointment, I started to worry- how much had she eaten? Is she going to be sick? How toxic is chocolate really? And then I found this dog-chocolate-toxicity-meter. And not knowing how much Juno weighs, or how much brownie actually remained, I kind of guessed a bunch of parameters, and input those values. I subsequently called DW, freaking out.

IMG_0591

But while talking to DW, got more accurate values, and got this:

IMG_0594

The dog looked fine. She wasn’t panting, or acting weird at all. Actually, her and her little sister started begging for their dinner… At 3:30pm!

So we left it at that, and took them for a nice off-leash hike at the conservation area. Juno was fine, but no fudge poops to be seen yet.

And then this morning at 6am, she barked at the door desperately (unusual, as she usually sleeps in until we get up). I let her into the backyard, and hoping she had a nice big chocolately poop. I haven’t checked yet though.

So far she seems fine. I think the cocoa threat has passed. She is sleeping like a tipped cow in the living room, still getting up every 30 minutes to bark at someone on the street.

IMG_0595

I’m extremely pleased that Juno doesn’t share her steals with her little sister Clementine. The last thing I need is to try to induce vomiting in a chihuahua-pug with very sharp teeth!

Lesson learned: Don’t leave food on the kitchen counter, especially when in a rush to leave the house! That dog can’t be trusted!