Thank you to The Mamas Rapscallion for the questions!
1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before? Peed on, and in things: LH sticks, HCG sticks, cortisol-testing urine collection jugs, and etc.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don’t usually make New Year resolutions. I just kind of wake up every morning and vow to do what’s right for the moment, and try not to frown too much when people say or do offensive things. This year however, I will resolve to try to relax more. I don’t mean put my feet up when the wife is slaving over dinner, but rather, to worry less.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? People around me gave birth- lots of them. However, no one super close. A few ex-teammates and some acquaintances only.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes, a friend from university did. At the young age of 34, he died of unknown causes.
5. What places did you visit? We kicked off 2013 with a family trip to Disney World, then headed to an amazing resort in Punta Cana, DR for March Break, and then Vancouver, Honolulu, and Maui in August.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013? A baby, or babies.
7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? The first insemination that we did at home on our own- DW wearing a headlamp, snapping the plastic speculum like a quacking duck, us giggling like little girls the entire time.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Slowing overcoming my fear of having my blood drawn, and utilizing self-restraint when all I really wanted to do was kick the stupid IUI nurse in the head when she so inappropriately muscled her way through my cervix rather than try to thread in the catheter properly.
9. What was your biggest failure? Being a workaholic to the point where I have already burnt out and am hating my job on a 3 times a week kind of basis.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nothing memorable.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Well technically, the IVF was paid for in 2013, so I’ll say that.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Nobody’s. We could have all behaved a little better.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? The behaviour of the RE clinic. They have been absolutely unprofessional, unreliable, and suspiciously untruthful at the best of times. If we didn’t need them to help us create a baby, we would be complaining about them to some governing body.
14. Where did most of your money go? In order of decreasing expense: IVF, bathroom renovation, re-roofing, IUI’s and related costs, and my sports (gym membership, Muay Thai, ball and ice hockey fees).
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Putting my buns in my wife’s oven in January 2014!
16. What song will always remind you of 2013? Anything by Lorde or Lykke Li.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Definitely fatter. Since May, I’ve been on fertility drugs of some variety, and despite all of the exercise that I do on a regular basis, I am up 15lbs from my normal 30-something-year-old weight.
c) richer or poorer? The same. We anticipated all of these expenses, and started saving up for them last year.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Nothing.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Working.
20. How did you spend Christmas in 2013? Packing to go to Disney World.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013? Stayed in love.
22. What was your favorite TV program? Homeland.
23. What did you do for your birthday in 2013? Went to the Dominican Republic!
24. What was the best book you read? The Night Circus.
25. What did you want and get? Many things- a ukulele, mortar and pestle, icers (ice tracks for my hiking shoes), many chances to make a baby.
26. What did you want and not get? A baby, and a sun-destination Christmas trip.
27. What was your favorite film of this year? Blue is the Warmest Color.
28. Did you make some new friends this year? Oui, mostly from work.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? An invention to manipulate time- to slow it down when I’m feeling overwhelmed, and to speed it up during those two-week-waits.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012? Outdoor smart. Think Eddie Bauer and Patagonia in the classroom.
31. What kept you sane? Sports and working out.
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I’m not really into celebrities.
33. What political issue stirred you the most? Russia’s homophobia.
34. Who did you miss? My grandparents.
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013. Anything is possible….