The last 28 hours have been less than fun, given that there are holes in my vagina and ovaries. We have been doing our best to stave off ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome (OHSS), which has felt like a full-time job.
Things that we are doing to prevent OHSS:
– I have been downing coconut water, which is a good electrolyte
– I have been eating salty things like soup
– I made myself a big pot of congee (a savoury Chinese rice porridge), which is salty and very easy on the digestive system
– I am trying to maintain my protein consumption at every meal even though I don’t feel like eating it when I’m not feeling well
– I am not exercising, even though it usually makes me feel better when I’m feeling gross
– I am weighing myself and measuring my abdominal girth daily
– I am doing acupuncture on myself (I have advanced training in this) to prevent ascites
– I am trying to relax and enjoy my 2 days off at home
So far, most of my discomfort has to do with any movements that engage my pelvic floor: getting up/down from sitting/standing, rolling over or changing position on the couch/bed, coughing (still have that damn cold from my MIL!), urinating, defecating, sitting.
This morning, the acetaminophen had worn off and I had major problems trying to pee. I could not bear down, and could only “open the flood gates” and let the natural pressure differential aid in excretion. I sat there for minutes as my urine “drip drip drip drip dripped….”. It was frustrating and sad as DW stood there and stared, feeling helpless and sorry for me.
However, I’m not feeling overly bloated. Just a little maybe. I have read that the bloating gets worse with time, which scares the shit out of me because I was hoping to play hockey on Monday, and am playing in a tournament during the weekend of the 30th.
We’ll see how it goes. Will update more on this as things progress.